12. February 2017 Organization 0
Use these strategies to get organized.
- Get your supplies together. Take a few minutes to think about what you need and gather it together before you start to study. This will help you stay focused on what you need to do.
- Have a routine. It is easier to be organized when you know how your day will go. Wake up, plan meals, and study at approximately the same times every day. But know that life will get in the way and make keeping your routine tough. Just relax, and ease back into your routine as soon as you can.
- Use a planner. Using a planner can help you keep track of all the things you need to do.
- Get ready for the next day before you go to bed. Look at your syllabi, figure out what is due, and pack up all books and materials that you will need so when you wake up in the morning you are ready for your day.
- Have a good way to deal with paper. In college you will have paper, lots of it-class notes, handouts, homework, research papers, and so forth. Keep all of your papers for each of your classes together. You might want to keep them in your class binder where you take your notes each day or you might want to have a separate folder for each class where you keep your documents. This way you can put your hands on what you need without wasting your time searching for it.
- Have a place for everything. A lot of students are unorganized because they just don’t have places to put their stuff. Don’t just throw things down, but make sure everything has its spot.
- Start out small. Pick one area, maybe cleaning off your desk or organizing the handouts for all your classes, and start there. Once you see you can organize in one place, it becomes motivating to organize in another.